Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week Two? How'd that Happen??

I can't believe tomorrow will mark our third week of school already!  It's been a lot of work, but it has also been a ton of fun!

This week we went over the syllabus for my class .  I know it is important and a college ready skill, but it's not much fun.  I must think of a better way to do that!  Luckily we had a chance to at least start in on some poetry.

Monday afternoon we did some team building games in front of K Building.  I was responsible for ALL ABOARD.  The object of the game is to get all of your group on a sheet.  Pretty easy at first, but after every successful attempt, I fold the sheet in half.  C Group did the best; they got the entire class on a quarter of a sheet.  I also had them sit on the ground back to back and lock elbows.  Then they had to work together to get up and race.  We did it in pairs, quartets, and sextets.  It was very entertaining to watch...speaking of which, I have some video to edit.


Tuesday, I explained the rules of our WATER BALLOON EXTRAVAGANZA!  Basically, it's a huge 4 team game of capture the flag, with water balloons.  That afternoon, we headed to Redwood park and played.  It was a good day.

The last class of the week, we managed to analyze "Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy and students wrote a triolet about their exploits during the Battle of Redwood.  They will be turning in their analysis and presenting their triolets the first half of this upcoming week.  I'm excited to hear them.  Triolets are always so much fun!

I also began assessing students during English Lab to get an idea of where everyone is with their fluency and reading comprehension.  It'll be nice to have the English Lab to work on literacy skills and strengthen student understanding.

We finished the week off with a cold rainy trip down the New River, but we had fun.  The kids were awesome and everyone seemed to have a great time!

Up next, poetry poker, stations, and maybe some performance poetry!



No comments: